Tuesday 14 July 2009

Photo Fret

Cromer Pier in the sea mist

Reviewing the results of a photographic shoot can be a daunting affair. Even in this digital age you can only really tell what a photograph is like until you have it on the computer screen. Is the focusing spot on? Is the exposure spot on? Some things you just can't see and analyse thoroughly on a small camera viewing screen during a hot, bright day's shooting. Overall, I'm pleased with what I've shot, but i think this will be the last Norfolk shoot for at least a couple of years. I'm looking for pastures new in 2010.

The number of photographs taken during the trip has reduced by around 33% compared to previous years. The biggest factor for this year was weather - bright and sunny with not a cloud in the sky. Perfect you might think...but not me. I've always liked a bit of detail in the sky. It doesn't have to be much, just the odd little fluffy white cloud and a few friends with him. I find that they deliver more balance to an landscape image. Clear blue skies are for postcards and holiday snaps. I like a bit of drama in my sky.

One new phenomenon for my trip was sea fret or mist. The humidity was high which resulted in a number of days spent in a sea fog. It was very atmospheric, as the pier photo illustrates, and the fret would come and go very quickly. It reminded me a bit of that very spooky classic horror film by John Carpenter called The Fog where a sea fog contains a ghostly old sailing ship and it's crew seeking retribution on a seaside town for past sins.

No comments: