Monday 15 July 2024

The Ragpicker's Dream

 

'Spain, Valencia, 1952, Robert and Mary Frank' By Elliott Erwitt

Back in November of last year, I posted about the OMD album cover for their brilliant 1980 album Organisation which featured the wonderful photograph shot by Richard Nutt of the cloud-covered peak of Marsco in the Red Cuillin mountains, on the Isle of Skye.

I'm posting again with another album cover image from Mark Knopfler's 2002 album The Ragpicker's Dream. I've been a fan of this album for several years and recognised the Elliott Erwitt image from a book by the photographer I picked up in Norfolk many years ago.

The photograph still had the power to surprise me though. It's only recently that I've found out the image contains the presence of two great photographers. Elliot Erwitt, behind the camera, and Robert Frank who is dancing in the photograph with his wife Mary.

Three years after this photograph was taken, Swiss photographer Robert Frank went on a journey through the United States that would later form his iconic 'The Americans' book.  The project is highly regarded as a classic piece of documentary photography.

Ironically the other book I was looking at before purchasing Elliott Erwitt's in that bookshop in Holt, Norfolk was... yep, Robert Frank's 'The Americans'. Why didn't I get it? Cost. It was very expensive!

No comments: