Friday 12 June 2009

Shooting Regime

The sun setting at Burnham Overy Staithe, Norfolk, UK - July 2008

Over the last few days, I've been getting things in place for the forthcoming Norfolk trip. As usual it's been a process making mental notes of what i want to photograph - a sort of loose shooting list. After looking at the deluge of last year's images, I've come to the conclusion that i need to reduce the amount of photographs i take.

I often work quickly, after all time is money, but i think it's time that i slowed the picture taking process. With this in mind I've made a number of decisions regarding the coming Norfolk project. The main big change concerns the amount of film stock shot - it's going to be halved for this year. Quality and not quantity is what this is about. Tight image making control. Will it improve the quality of images i take? A very good question. I think it will.

What am i trying to achieve? Quite simply, I want to get a more concise control over my work - even though i was pleased with the photographs produced last year. More exposures, however, does not necessarily mean a greater number of super photographs. I think i can do better if i slow down. I tried this concise control approach on my trip to London, back in October, when i shot three rolls of film and was immensely pleased with the results. Less is more... as they say.

No comments: