Wednesday 29 July 2009

Misty Mountain Top

The mountains around Llyn Ogwen, North Wales - July 2003

The Architect's Journal website started it all. Up until that point I'd been OK, but as soon as I'd seen the article about the new visitor centre at the top of Mount Snowdon in North Wales, i got the sudden urge to climb a mountain or two, take some photos and get some mountain air. Sadly, I don't think I'll get to visit this year. Financial and work commitments will see to that but a trip in 2010 could be a distinct possibility.

It may come as a bit of a surprise, but my favourite place for photography is North Wales. These past years have seen me concentrate my photography on the lowland areas of the UK, however, it's the mountains, lakes and forests of North Wales that really do appeal to me. Let's not forget the great Welsh castles either. There aren't that many places in Britain where you get to taste the atmosphere of the old world. The various mountain passes and tracks give great access to the national park, so it isn't hard to get off the beaten track, away from the hustle and bustle of modern life, to take some dramatic landscape photographs.

Add the history of Wales, and you have something to fire up your imagination and creativity. After all, when the mist comes drifting over the high mountain tops, Snowdonia can still seem like a place of dragons, castles and legends.

No comments: