Tuesday 17 February 2009

SoFoBoMo

Earls Court, London, UK

You may be wondering what the heck I'm talking about with a post title like SoFoBoMo. The title refers to Solo Photo Book Month, an online project that I've been looking forward to signing up to since i discovered it last year.

The idea is simple. You have one month (31 days actually) to shoot, edit and create your own photography book (an electronic or printed version) about any theme/subject you choose. Thirty five images are required, although it can be more, and ALL of the work must be carried out in that 31 day period starting no earlier than May 1, 2009, and ending no later than June 30, 2009. It sounds easy but i think it will prove a tough challenge. The finished book will be available to download from the website/blog.

Book design was a small part of my photography degree, although i must admit that at the time i considered it as an unnecessary distraction. Why on earth would i want to create a book? My attitude to book design has since changed as I've become older and far more broad minded photographically. I think i can produce a great looking book and learn a few things too. I still have to decide on the subject matter and whether it's shot using a film or digital camera. I'm thinking digital just to make it slightly easier for this first book.

If you think you'd like to take part in the SoFoBoMo project, have a look at the website at http://www.sofobomo.org/2009/.

No comments: